Winter brings its familiar annual challenges to maintaining optimum physical and mental well-being. For example, making progress on fitness goals during the rougher weather conditions is often difficult. People frequently lose momentum and struggle to keep their motivation. So, winter is the ideal time to shake things up and try something new and exciting — like any one of the wide variety of fun and healthy martial arts classes. Building martial arts skills offers perhaps the world’s most well-rounded indoor winter activity for exhilarating fun, physical and mental fitness, and, of course, learning self-defense skills.
Start or Maintain Healthy Habits this Winter
Developing healthy habits builds a stronger sense of self-esteem and greater peace of mind. Martial arts practice helps people in all age groups strengthen self-discipline, concentration, self-confidence, and mental and physical fitness:
- Discipline: In martial arts training, students overcome their toughest internal challenges. Gaining self-discipline is one of those. Fortunately, this inner strength naturally develops through the training and helps people throughout their lives.
- Focus: The patience and commitment developed through martial arts training helps in a person’s other challenges, like work and school struggles. Martial arts students gain an advantage in improved abilities to concentrate and respond rapidly and accurately.
- Confidence: Developing greater and more genuine self-confidence is a major benefit of martial arts training. It’s not about an inflated ego, but a sense of inner strength and confidence from working and ultimately succeeding at mastering self-defense skills.
- Reasoning: Cognition benefits from physical exercise are well recognized. Martial arts offers students much more than conventional workouts. They gain rapid-response problem-solving skills with broad applicability to countless work and school challenges.
- Fitness: For optimum overall physical and mental health, few fitness activities deliver as much as martial arts for building healthy habits. Students gain important skills and discover good nutrition along the way, as well as the fun social aspect of group classes.
Stay Mentally and Physically Active
There are lots of gloomy weather days in winter, which can lead us to stay inside and become more sedentary for days, weeks, and even months. Getting into an exciting and fun martial arts program gets you up and physically moving! It offers an adventure in becoming more and more skilled in martial arts while leaving common unhealthy winter habits behind.
Unwinding and enjoying the best quality of combined physical and mental fitness activity during the most difficult periods of winter offers huge benefits. Especially when you’re meeting hectic school and work schedules, battling weather issues, and finding yourself stuck inside for so much longer each day..
Overcome Common Wintertime Blues
Many people think of martial arts as a rather exotic kind of fitness regimen that gives you a good workout and teaches helpful self-defense movements. But, martial arts training also naturally provides other rich physical and mental health benefits.
Cold, wet, cloudy, dark, short days during winter can negatively impact moods and even our general sense of well-being. Martial arts practice and other types of healthy regular exercise can increase energy and enhance moods. It can help significantly relieve stress, anxiety, and depression. It can even help with seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
Manage Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.)
S.A.D. is different from just the common wintertime blues. It is a form of clinical depression triggered by exposure to seasonal changes in external conditions. People suffering from S.A.D. are sometimes unaware that they are affected by it. It is common during late fall and winter months and symptoms typically disappear as the warmer seasons return. Symptoms may include:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Feeling tired
- Sluggishness, lethargy
- Loss of interest in usual daily activities
- Feeling agitated
- Depressed most of the day on most days
- Low energy
- Changes in appetite
- Changes in body weight
- Lack of motivation
Martial arts practice and other forms of exercise are recommended by physical and mental health experts for improved sense of overall well-being, increased endorphin activity, relief of stress, enhanced mood, and increased endurance, among other important benefits.
Training in martial arts or doing other types of physical exercise can help alleviate some symptoms of seasonal depression. However, if you think that you or a loved one may be experiencing S.A.D., you should seek the advice of a medical professional.
Meet New People
In martial arts classes, you learn self-defense skills, enjoy the most interesting form of fitness activity, and meet new people with similar interests. Martial arts classes are fun and highly effective multipurpose activities for adults, teens, and children. You can feel very comfortable in the group training because you’ll be working out with other people who are at the same level of skill as yours (beginner to advanced).
You’ll discover on your first visit that all the other students and your instructors are friendly and supportive of you as you start on your journey to learn martial arts, raise your fitness level, and just have fun!
Other Benefits of Wintertime Martial Arts Training
The list of important physical and mental health and fitness benefits of martial arts training is a long one. That’s what makes this type of healthy wintertime activity such an exceptional way to spend time indoors. It’s fun, and it offers so much more in personal benefits than traditional exercise programs or typical cold-weather pastimes.
Most of us tend to feel our best when the weather is good and find it at least a little harder sometimes to stay fully motivated during periods of overcast skies and bitter cold. Here are some great reasons to take some quality time for yourself to start learning martial arts this winter:
- Motivates a more positive attitude and overall perspective
- Increases endorphins, reduces stress and depression
- Offers milestone markers and accomplishment of major goals
- Promotes optimum physical health
- Promotes optimum mental health
- Increases strength and stamina
- Builds muscle, burns calories for weight loss
- Promote optimum mental sharpness
- Improve self-discipline
- Improves coordination and balance
- Increases flexibility, agility, and speed
- Relieve boredom or frustration during winter periods indoors
- Healthy way to release negative feelings
- Improves posture, helps avoid attracting bullies
- A way to change up your fitness routine to boost progress
- Achieves self-empowerment
- Increases sense of personal validation
- Helps regulate emotions and stabilize self-talk
- Improves mood management effectiveness
- Increases self-esteem
- Develops self-defense abilities
- Develops leadership confidence and skills
- Increases oxygen to the brain, improving mental clarity and memory
- Can improve sleep quality
- Improves mental fitness, including patience and self-control
- Helps maintain energy levels and mental acuity in winter
- Increases self-confidence
- Avoids exposure to rough weather to stay physically active
- Convenient indoor activity with less risk of missed opportunities due to weather
- Offers fitness activity that fits any lifestyle
- Multipurpose activity serves physical and mental fitness and self-defense goals
- Offers wintertime pastime for the whole family
Winter is Here! Time for a Fun New Indoor Activity!
As longer nights and freezing temperatures take over our surrounding environment, it’s an excellent time to turn to martial arts for an ideally healthy, fun, social, and educational wintertime activity. The whole family can learn self-defense skills, maintain health and fitness, and enjoy the stress-relieving distraction of a fun indoor activity.
Tai Chi, Kung Fu, Shaolin Kempo Karate, and Krav Maga martial arts classes at USSD are just much more fun and interesting and overall more motivating than more rote movements in regular gym workouts. Plus, building an important skill, especially in self-defense, is an exciting and rewarding accomplishment to work toward.
United Studios of Self Defense, Vancouver WA
At USSD, we use proven teaching principles and methods to help our students advance through their martial arts training and reach their physical, mental, and emotional fitness goals. We’re here to help people on their journey through improving their self-defense skills and overall personal condition to become their best selves.
Contact USSD Vancouver
The United Studios of Self Defense (USSD) Vancouver offers world-class instruction in three different types of self defense and martial arts: Tai-Chi, Kung Fu, and Shaolin Kempo. We offer both group instruction and one-on-one classes to fit your schedule and instruction needs. We offer classes for all skill levels, from beginner to advanced in each of the above three disciplines. Classes are available for both adults and children.
Contact us today to learn more about our martial arts programs or to set up a time to visit one of our classes in person. Our instructors work with students at every age and stage of martial arts development and are dedicated to helping you cultivate self defense skills that meet your goals and make you feel great about yourself.
"*" indicates required fields